How to Replace a Drawer Front
Preparing Old Drawer Boxes to Accept New Drawer Fronts
• When replacing the drawer fronts, you must first determine whether your drawer boxes are three-sided or four-sided.
• If the drawer front is the front wall of the drawer box, then you have a three-sided drawer box (21).
• If the drawer front is mounted to the front wall of the drawer box, you have a four-sided drawer box (23).
• Remove drawer slides from the old drawer box.
Three-Sided Drawer Box
• Using a saw, trim the drawer front so that no edges extend beyond the top, bottom or sides of the drawer box (22). This allows the old drawer front to fit inside the drawer opening.
• Hide rough edges by turning the box around. The old drawer front should now be in the back of the drawer box.
• Replace drawer slides, making sure they are centered and flush with the front edge of the box.
• Center the drawer front on the box and temporarily secure with screws (26).
• Slide the drawer box into the opening and check alignment. Adjust as necessary, then tighten and add screws.
Four-Sided Drawer Box
• Remove the old drawer front, being careful not to damage the drawer box.
• Re-attach drawer slides.
• Center the drawer front on the box and temporarily secure with one screw (26).
• Slide the drawer box into the opening to check the alignment. Adjust as necessary, then tighten and add screws.